Friday, October 30, 2009

The Ride

I was listening to Beanie Siegel's record towards Jay-Z when I heard him say something that hit me hard he said "I understand, everybody can’t go and you already on…" I have been trying so hard to keep the same group of friends that I grew up with but I am starting to understand that not everyone can go with you when you are trying to go places in your life. Those same friends that were the ones that kept me going have become the ones that are holding me back. Whether it be their negative attitudes towards my hopes and dreams or just drama in their own lives they have become extra baggage instead of helping me carry the burdens on my shoulders. That one line inspired me to create this poem titled "The Ride"

I was told not to follow my dreams but to chase them
so I am running until I lose all of my breath
Nothing or no one can stop me
I was born to do this so I will continue until death

The same ones that were there since the beginning are still hanging on
but we no longer travel at the same speed
They have become a heavy weight that I drag along with me on this journey
and have set me back which is something that I don't need

I love them so much that I tried to make them understand my passion
and why I choose to deal with some of life's pain
they look at me confused because they think I should take the easy way out
and deep down inside they think I'm insane

They tell me that I could have had the easy life
instead of taking risks and chances that are not seen as wise
if I would just think logically and played it safe
I would have already earned the ultimate prize

I have always thought outside of the box
never lived my life based on other's expectations
So if I have to fail before I succeed
I will gladly go through all of the trials and tribulations

So many feel that I have made the wrong choices
and as much as this is going to hurt inside
I have to let you and all of your negativity go
Not everyone can come along for the ride

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful...

    I'm loving the new passion BTW...very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a shame how true this is... I love it Ang. I feel that in life we do outgrow our friends... not purposefully but some people are on meant to be around during a certain chapter of your life. I've long ago stop fighting to keep past friends. It's like holding onto something that really isn't yours. You've inspired me bew! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "and as much as this is going to hurt inside
    I have to let you and all of your negativity go
    Not everyone can come along for the ride."

    Truth. & I completely agree with Bee, about fighting to hold onto what really isn't yours. We all know that saying how people are either around for a reason, season, or lifetime. You can't pick and choose which one they tend to be; they just are. I've had a painful experience with losing a friend this way. Not being fit for the ride, but it's OK because I would NEVER want to hold anyone back if they feel the need to be better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. some people are only in your life for a season. you dont need a winter coat in the summer ;) luv it ang!

    ReplyDelete